Smart meters and potential health risks
The assessment of potential health effects from Smart Meters is the subject of 4 reports from the US released in 2010 / 11.
The California Council on Science and Technology, a State Government body concludes:
The CCST Project team, after carefully reviewing the available literature on the current state of science on health impacts of radiofrequency from smart meters and input from a wide variety of subject matter experts, concludes that:
- The FCC standard provides a currently accepted factor of safety against known thermally induced health impacts of smart meters and other electronic devices in the same range of emissions. Exposure levels from smart meters are well below the thresholds for such effects.
There is no evidence that additional standards are needed to protect the public from smart meters.
Smart Meter Reports
- Health impacts of radio frequency from smart meters - by the California Council on Science and Technology, (State Government Body)
- Review of health issues related to smart meters - by the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (State Government Advisory Committee)
- An Investigation of Radiofrequency Fields Associated with the Itron Smart Meter - by the Electric Power Research Institute (energy research institute)
- Assessment of radiofrequency microwave radiation emissions from smart meters - by Sage Associates. (private consulting firm)